Saturday, March 17, 2012

Competition!!

Early Thursday morning I got up at 5am with an excited/nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. I laid there for a few moments thinking of what the day might hold. Then I slowly crept out of bed and quietly made my way to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and scramble an egg.


I didn't really feel like eating, but I figured I should before the nerves hit really hard and I couldn't! After I ate, I got ready to go and packed all my stuff into the van. With a last minute check and a prayer we were finally on our way!


The car ride was.....long. I forced myself to eat a cereal bar hoping that it would settle my queasy stomach. It didn't :( Mary's favorite part of competition each year is eating donuts in the car. Isn't she cute?



As we neared the college I had fun trying to take some pictures of the big buildings and the river.
Unfortunately the van was so bumpy and fast that it made most of my pictures blurry.


When we got there one of the first things I had to do was drop off my drawing in the art building.
I wish I had had more time to explore all of the art in there, but it didn't open for viewing until late in the afternoon and I had a lot going on during that time.


My drawing along with some of the other pencil drawings.


My drawing up close.


This was one of the watercolor entries. I liked it so much that I wanted to get a picture!


The first performance was the choir. We warmed up in a little room and then nervously lined up to enter the auditorium. (I am on the middle row, the fourth girl from the left. Kathryn is standing on my left and Lauren is on the bottom row, the very last girl on the right.)


Next was our girls ensemble.We placed first!! (In the video I am at the top almost in the middle, Kathryn is to my left, and Lauren played the piano.)




After lunch I played my flute solo. Unfortunately I messed up the ending! I still got second place though!

Kathryn played a violin solo! She placed 1st!



Next was the large band ensemble. we placed first!!






Then the band performed. We placed first!! (I am playing flute, hidden by the director. Lauren is the first flute on the left)



After all of the performances were done we sat in the balcony for the awards ceremony. It was terribly fun to listen and see if my name or our group name was called for first, second, or third. Our group did really well this year. I think it was our best year yet!


After the awards ceremony the people of our group that stayed for the awards ceremony gathered for a picture with our choir director! (she is the Lady in the white shirt.)




On the way home I was able to get some unfortunately very blurry pictures of the city at night! They look kind of cool, though!




Over all the day was extremely exciting and fun! It was.....also very nerve-racking!! The kids in our group are a whole bunch of fun and I will miss them when so many of them graduate this year! :) :)


10 comments:

  1. your drawing is amazing, and you're really great at flute! sounds like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! You did an amazing job playing the flute!!! Sorry about the mess up! I do that some times when I play at my piano recital! But you did a great recovery and kept going! The drawings were beautiful!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine! Mess ups happen and the only thing to do is to move on and finish the song! :) :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't see where you messed up.
    You were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Sheean! I did mess up a little at the very end, but I'm glad you didn't notice it! :) :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like u had some fun!!!
    xxx Nine
    ( ps: I think you and your sisters are super pretty!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratus on second place, Sarah!

    ♥Godsgirlz1♥

    ReplyDelete