Wednesday, January 16, 2013

gluten free days



Ever since I remember this has been one of my favorite dishes. It's a delightful mix of vegetables and chicken in a creamy sauce, topped with a crumble. I was sort of bummed when I couldn't eat it anymore after going gluten free. So I thought, why not make a gluten free version? And while I was at it, I cut the recipe down to one serving so I can easily make it in a personal sized dish. Besides, it's cuter, right?

 Country Chicken Casserole(gluten free)

Filling
2 tablespoons all purpose gluten free flour(I use a pamela's baking mix)
1/3 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 thyme
1/4 cup chicken(pre-cooked)
2/3 cup mixed vegetables(canned or frozen)

Topping
half an egg
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon all purpose gluten free flour
1 tablespoon parmesan 
1/8 teaspoon baking powder

Directions
Preheat oven to 400.
Melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme until smooth. Stir in milk. Cook until thickened and boiling. Stir in Chicken and vegetables. Pour into small dish. 
Mix flour, baking powder, butter, cheese, and egg in small bowl with fork until crumbly. Put mixture on top of casserole. Bake 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and brown on top.

12 comments:

  1. Ah! You're GF???!!! So am I! I'm going to have to show this to my mom! :D

    Thanks for posting this! Looks yummy. ;)

    <3 Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Let me know if you want the full size recipe :)

      Delete
  2. I'm gluten free too! Its so cool to meet others that are gluten free too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I have a really good friend of mine that's gluten free... maybe I'll leave her the link for this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks AMAZING! If only I had a kitchen here at college so I could make that! ;-)

    xoxo Miss ALK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm....looks good! I might try with just regular flour for lunch sometime...or dinner! Looks delish!
    {Emma}

    Key Quote of The Week~
    Expect great things from God;
    Attempt great things for God~
    ~William Carey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sarah :) this recipe looks so good! I would like the full recipe tho, so I can make it for my family! :) BTW, u prob have no idea who I am but I'm one of ur many fans and friends on 5PM! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did recognize your name! I just wasn't sure from where... :) thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete